Wednesday 11 June 2014

Healthy Active Life • May 28 2014, 6:21 PM
The scientist behind Herbalife performance nutrition line, Herbalife24, doesn’t just develop the products for athletes – he uses them too.  As an ultra-marathoner and former USA Cat 2 cyclist, John Heiss, Ph.D., Herbalife Sr. Director of Sports and Fitness, Worldwide Product Marketing, understands firsthand the importance of nutrition and setting healthy goals to lead a balanced life, even for those of us who aren’t competitive athletes.
We caught up with John to get the lowdown on his workout routine and tips for leading a healthy lifestyle.

Can you tell us what your typical workout routine looks like?
My workout routine depends on my specific goals or an upcoming event.  Right now, I’m training for an ultra-marathon and a few bike races this summer so my routine is specifically geared towards this.  I’m doing 15-20 hours of cardio a week.  Usually, it’s 2-3 hard days during the week, followed by a rest-day. Then a typical weekend I get in a six hour run on Saturday and a five hour bike ride on Sunday, I’ll repeat this for a three weeks build, then I’ll take a rest week with a few low volume  and low intensity workouts.
When I’m not training, I love chasing powder for downhill skiing at Mammoth or Colorado, or go hiking, so I go from one extreme to another.

How do you make time to work out given your busy schedule and responsibilities at Herbalife?
On weekdays, I’m usually out the door by 6 a.m. to get in a 3 hour workout before work.  I’m lucky that the company culture at Herbalife is pretty cool and allows me to adjust my work schedule accordingly.  Of course, for many people with a rigid 9-5 schedule that’s not possible, but even then you should try to fit in a 30 minute workout in the morning or before dinner.

How does being a competitive athlete shape your views on the role of health and fitness in everyday life?
I’m aware that everything I put in my body impacts my health, and I think everyone – even non-competitive athletes – need to have this consciousness about their bodies.  Every decision I make nutritionally – from what I buy at the grocery store to the food I eat – I evaluate based on the effect it will have on my performance.  I’ll have a hamburger with the guys or some sweets from time to time, but even then it’s a conscious decision on my part and I’m fully aware of how it will affect my body.

What are your top three tips for health?
1. Do what’s attainable.  Anything you do to make it easier for yourself will go a long way.  Exercise five times a week even if it’s only a few pull-ups or pushups.  You might think you don’t have time to work out, but you’d be amazed that even as little as five minutes every day will go a long way to meeting your fitness goals.
The same thing applies to eating well.  I live near a health food-style grocery store and deli, so I have access to high-quality prepared food, but I also try to cook for the week ahead on Sunday nights.  I’ll chop up a bunch of vegetables so that way if I get home late during the week, it’s only a matter of throwing it all together for a decent meal.
2. Eat with a purpose. Ask yourself, why are you eating it and how will you benefit?
3. Know what you’re working towards. Whether it’s training for a race or a specific weight loss goal, make a plan and stick with it.

What’s your favorite Herbalife product?
Definitely Herbalife24™ Rebuild Strength.  I love it because it tastes great and has a lot of high-quality protein to fuel my workouts and help with recovery.

What’s your favorite post-marathon treat meal, what you’re craving?
Honestly, I look forward to making a huge shake after a tough workout. Mentally, it gives me satisfaction knowing that I’m capping off all that hard work with great nutrition to help my body recover. It’s usually frozen blueberries, whole milk, ground flax seeds, and 1 ½ servings of Rebuild Strength.

No comments:

Post a Comment